Video: Eliminate Foot Cramps Forever
If you’ve ever experienced the sharp, sudden pain of a foot cramp, you know how painful they can be. There are many causes of foot cramps, but regardless of the cause make an appointment to see us in our Seattle foot and ankle clinic for help relieving your foot cramps.
One of the most common causes of foot cramps is fatigue or overwork of the muscles in the bottom of the foot. If we find this is the cause of your foot cramps we will start you on a program designed to eliminate the muscle fatigue. This may include:
- Special strengthening exercises for the arch of the foot.
- Recommendation of specific shoes for your foot type
- Custom or prefabricated orthotics
- Anti-inflammatory measures
In most cases of cramps due to muscle fatigue we can usually eliminate the cramping.
Other causes of foot cramps include:
- Poor circulation – Foot cramp is caused by lack of oxygen being carried to the muscles of the feet.
- Lack of potassium.
- Dehydration – Lack of water in the muscles may cause foot cramps.
- Changing hormone levels – Foot cramps may occur while muscle tissue adjusts to these changes.
- Pinched nerves – Caused when the electrical impulse from the brain cannot reach the muscle, this can cause foot cramps, numbness and other symptoms.
- Alcohol or tobacco use – Since both lend to dehydration, poor circulation and toxicity, these can cause many foot cramps.
- Nutritional deficiency – A healthy diet, complete with all essential nutrients can keep muscles and nerves functioning normally.
Regardless of the cause, we will work with you to figure out the best treatment for your foot cramps. Make an appointment to see us in our Seattle office.